You’ve probably heard us say that our organic cotton is “GOTS-certified” thousand times over. But we’re sure many of you have often wondered - what is this GOTS certification and why is it so important? Let’s find out.
What is GOTS?
Not to be mistaken with the acronym of a similar-sounding fantasy TV show, GOTS, i.e. The Global Organic Textile Standard, is the world’s leading textile processing standard for organic fibers. To put it simply, a GOTScertification is an assurance that the product you’re purchasing meets the global standards for the processing and manufacturing of organic textiles.
How does it work?
It sets the standard by laying down certain requirements for the production of organic textiles, making sure it covers every step of the supply chain- right from harvesting, to sewing, topackaging. These requirements are based on both environmental and social criteria, thus making sure that the textile is produced in an eco-friendly manner, as well as making sure that laborers and workers are protected and treated as per fair trade norms during this process.
Here are some key features of the Global Organic Textile Standard:
- It prohibits the use of harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde, heavy metals, GMOs and more in the production of organic textiles.
- It covers every step of the production process, whether it is the growth of the plant, composition of the fiber, bleaching techniques, water and waste discharge methods, or even the materials used during packaging.
- To become GOTS certified, the textile must have 70% organic fiber, at the minimum.
- Any chemical inputs have to adhere to strict environmental and toxicological guidelines.
- When it comes to quality of textile such as softness, shrinkage value etc.,the fabric must meet a certain criterion in order to be certified.
- All processors and textile manufacturers must meet strict social criteria, some of which include safe working conditions for laborers, minimum age laws, and other fair trade practices concerning remuneration and hours.
- The product is tested and appraised for quality and authenticity at every stage of the process by an experienced certifier, who must submit appropriate documentation of the same.
- Yearly audits of manufacturing facilities and surprise checks are conducted to ensure a continuance of correct practices.
To sum it up, GOTS is a key certification to ensure the authenticity of organic cotton and its safety. Next time you buy an Organic Cotton product, make sure you look for the GOTS stamp. For a detailed description of the GOTS certification and its requirements, click here.
Why are our products GOTS certified?At Softsens, we are committed to creating products that are absolutely SAFE for your baby. So, when we started working on our range of baby clothing, we knew from the start that it would have to made using 100% Organic Cotton. Why? It’s simple really –
- Organic cotton is free of chemicals and other toxic substances that can harm your baby’s skin. Non-organic cotton, on the other hand, is grown using a large amount of chemicals and pesticides, which can ultimately be harmful to skin due to the leftover residue.
- Organic Cotton is hypoallergenic, extremely soft, lightweight, breathable and a lot more durable than non-organic cotton.
- Choosing a sustainable fabric like Organic Cotton helps promote fair trade and a healthier environment for us all.
If you want to learn more about WHY certified Organic Cotton fabric is the better choice for your baby, click here. But that’s not where it stops. When we create baby clothes made from Organic Cotton, it is our duty and responsibility to make sure that the fabric is backed up by the highest international standards of safety and assurance, so that YOU can be a 100% sure of the product that you’re purchasing and where it comes from. Hence, all our baby apparel products are created from 100% GOTS-certified Organic Cotton.
If you have any questions about GOTS or our production methods, leave us a comment below, and we’ll do our best to answer your queries.