What is Muslin fabric?
Muslin is an extremely fine and loosely-woven cotton fabric. Based on its size, weight, finish, colour etc., there are many different types of muslin cloth.
Many believe that it got its name from the city of Mosul, where it was first made. One of the earliest cotton cloths, muslin cloth, was handwoven in India and became extremely popular in trade with European countries.
Over the years, Muslin has become a much-loved fabric owing to its gentle, light and pure feeling and texture.
Why is Muslin fabric perfect for babies?
First, it’s important to understand that your baby’s skin is far more delicate and sensitive than your own. A baby’s skin barrier is 30% thinner than an adult’s, which makes it harder for them adapt easily to temperature changes. Your baby’s skin also loses moisture twice as fast and can thus easily become dry and flaky. That’s why your baby’s innocent skin deserves the best care and the gentlest of fabrics. Here are some of the reasons why muslin is one of our top choices for your baby’s skin.
1. Owing to its open weave, muslin is an extraordinarily light & breathable fabric that helps keep your baby snug & warm, but at the same time allows air to flow freely, preventing any chance of overheating. This is why muslin fabric is the safest choice for baby blankets and baby swaddles.
2. Muslin fabrics are oh-so-soft on your baby’s delicate skin, leaving your little one feeling cozy, pampered and in a state of pure bliss! Softsens Baby Swaddle Blankets are made from 100% organic Muslin cotton, for the gentlest care and comfort.
3. Muslin is also a flexible fabric and gently stretches to take the shape of your baby for maximum comfort. Your baby will sleep longer & better when wrapped cozily in a muslin swaddle blanket,
4. It is an extremely durable fabric and gets softer each time you wash it.
5. Organic muslin fabrics are free from chemicals and harmful substances, making them 100% safe for your baby’s skin, sustainable and kind on our environment as well.
6. Muslin cloths can be used and repurposed in a variety of different ways. Once you are done using it as a baby swaddle, you can even use it as a cleaning cloth, nursing cover, changing mat or crib sheet.
Click here to know more about the benefits of swaddling and to learn how to swaddle your baby correctly!